Old Spool Sewing Studio is a space where friends (or soon-to-be-friends!) regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability, size, or age, can gather together and make something with their hands. We are a safe and welcoming space for all and have a zero tolerance bullying policy (for kids and adults) in our all of our classes in order to ensure this.
Sustainable & Earth Conscious practices are our priority and we work to instill them in every level of business. We are always improving and open to constructive criticism. That means we:
- Prioritize stocking products and working with companies that have sustainable practices (organic, Oeko-tex, etc) and socially conscious production chains.
- Recycle almost every scrap of fabric we use in our kids classes in some way or another.
- Use cleaners that don’t harm the environment, including our new HOCI disinfecting system in light of the COVID19 pandemic.
- Very rarely use single-use items unless they have been recycled in the first place.
- Most of our shipping materials are recycled, compostable or earth-friendly, with an aim to be 100% in the near future.
All vendors and businesses Old Spool Sewing Studio supports are local or smaller scale with a priority given to local, women or BIPOC-owned (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) businesses. Old Spool does not support Big Box Stores or National Chains that put profits before people and harm our planet with no shame.
We recently began a program to regularly offer free and lower cost sewing lessons to at-risk kids in our area, thank to a collaboration with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Coastal and Northern NJ.
We believe Money is Love and give monthly to organizations that support marginalized communities. Most recently we began giving to the Loveland Foundation which prioritizes making therapy accessible for Black Woman and Girls throughout the country.