This week on Old Spool’s Youtube Channel is another beginner friendly hand sewing tutorial to make some cute flamingo and pineapple felt stuffies. This project is a bit more advanced that my other hand sewing tutorials because of the shapes we’re sewing, but in the end, we’re doing the same simple combination of a whipstitch and a running stitch to put everything together.
If you’re new to sewing, I suggest starting with my Donut sewing tutorial because of how few pieces actually go into making it. If you’re feeling ambitious (and loving these hand sewing projects) you can also tackle my Llama or Cactus projects too!
Make sure while you’re over at my channel to like my videos and subscribe to my page!
You can find the patterns for the tutorial below, make sure to print at 100% or “Do not scale” when you print it out so that your pieces are the correct size! You can always make the pattern intentionally bigger or smaller, just know that super small pieces are harder for younger kids to cut and sew together.
The Materials you’ll need for this project are:
- Flamingo and Pineapple sewing patterns, download it above!
- Wool or Wool Blend felt (better for the environment than plastic/polyester felt, here’s the small business where I like to buy mine
- A hand sewing needle. Size 5 embroidery needles are what I’m using here.
- Thread or embroidery floss (again, find it on https://www.benziedesign.com)
- Scissors -Pins or safety pins (optional, but really helpful!)
- a writing utensil, such as a sharpie or a pencil
- stuffing (try to avoid Poly-fill, that’s plastic! I love the recycled shoddy from Fabscrap )